Friday, July 22, 2011

Day Two - Check!

Met up with the pastors from the Salvation Army here in Santa Maria. Had a lovely, quiet evening and a great GREAT bath (is that weird to blog about?). My bed is nice and soft and my smelly t-shirt is washing right now.

The trip from Big Sur was really nice. 1 South only got busy for a short stretch. Otherwise, it was relaxing and the views of the ocean did my heart good. I'm trying to drink it all in because tomorrow I head a bit inland (LA area) then I'll be landlocked for the next, oh, FORTY SEVEN HUNDRED MILES. So sad. At least I am heading toward a year practically IN the ocean - that makes this less painful.

All the bikers have been looking worried when I say I'm heading through the southern US. It's evidently hot as blazes. It's been freezing on my Vespa these last two days but I expect that LA will warm me right up. I have my extra water bottles ready, my tee that I'm supposed to soak in water every 30 mins (acts like an air conditioner when the wind hits it, or so I'm told), my electrolyte tablets, sunscreen. And I rode pretty solidly these last two days but I'm going to have to start forcing myself to take way more breaks.

1 comment:

liz said...

You look beautiful and extra cool in your photo. Every time I think of you on the road - meeting new people, waving at bikers, talking to yourself, soaking in ocean views - it makes me smile. Truth is, I am extra jealous and inspired by your trip, by your tenacity.

I love the updates and LOVE LOVE you friend.