Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Big Journey


Well, I've made my decision.

54 Days.

2 Coasts.

1 Vespa.

A very small bank account.

My route is still being worked out as we speak, as is all the crazy planning that I'll have to do to be ready by mid-July to leave Santa Cruz on my Vespa. I'll keep you updated on the interesting parts as I go (although there's a solid chance I'm the only one who will find them interesting).

I have lots of help in planning this - turns out, there are all kinds of people who have done crazy Vespa trips like this one (though my parents don't buy this in the least). So I'm not a pioneer by any means, which is a very comforting thought.

My favorite site, for your viewing pleasure, is www.vespa-vagabond.blogspot.com. Shreve did this same type of trip, from San Francisco to NYC, and she's been great answering my questions and assuring me that this isn't the worst idea ever.

And, I'm going to need lots of help as I figure out where to sleep each night, so stay tuned because I'm going to start asking you who you know who will let me sleep on their couch in Idaho!


13 comments:

Katidid said...

Hooray!! Please stay with me in Boulder :)
love, katie

Melissa said...

LOOOK WHAT I FOOOUUUNNNDDD! LOVE the idea. LOVE that i found your blog....LOVE that i know people/really fun, awesome crazy, amazing people in almost every state. And you should use me to hook you up :) and possibly toss me in your lil vespa basket so i can go along.

Deborah Gugala said...

You can stay with me. We have duct tape. And we're not afraid to use it.

Deborah Gugala said...

Because I love you, I will read the Vespa Vagabond. However, your dad said he will rent the UHAul to transport the wee bikey to the East Coast.

IF you do it in less than a week.

Deborah Gugala said...

Fergussons will host you in St Louis.

betsy said...

first of all, mom, i laughed out loud when i read your first comment. i'll be watching my back when i'm home. second, dad and i had a nice conversation this morning and it was amazing how subtly he threw in the uhaul idea...it was pure genious. i was almost agreeing before i realized what he was saying. that man is a smart one. and finally, i would love you both less if you didn't give me so much grief about all this.

betsy said...

and Melissa, is this my Melissa from LA??? geez, love, its been a while. i may come through your area on my way out of california, but if not, are you coming here any time soon? so we can hang before i peace out of the west coast? and i will definitely hit you up to help me find couches to sleep on if you're offering your assistance. thank you. (by the way, did you get my message?)

Pilar said...

This is a brilliant idea. Think about the story that you'll be able to tell ... seriously, I'm so excited for you. I'm excited to read all about your travels!

PS Not sure of your route, but you know you'll have a place in Chicago.

Deborah Gugala said...

hush, pilar, don't encourage her.

CJE said...

let us send you a little food/gas money to help with your trip..send me your current address. Have a wonderful time i will be reading this!! carolee :)

CJE said...

hey you can stay with us in grayslake anytime but remember we are gone every other weekend so could just leave you the key !!

CJE said...

hey how do you come back??not riding i think???carolee

betsy said...

Hey Carol! Thanks so much for the offer, it is so appreciated. I sent my address to Liz, to forward to you. I'd love to stay with you all if I'm in that area in Chicago, I'll let you know as my schedule becomes more clear. Thanks again for everything!