Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 22

Still haven't seen the beach!

Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA. Camping on Skidaway Island State Park.

Easy and short day of riding. Right around 100 miles.

I was going to stay 2 nights, but they don't have availability tomorrow night, and since it is going to be a MADHOUSE everywhere on this coast, what with Labor Day weekend, I'd just as soon be out of here and heading home.

Home. Can you believe it. I'll see my home tomorrow for the first time. I'll unpack my bags and park the ol Vesperini and my parents will breathe a sigh of relief so loud I'll probably hear it in Georgia. And I'll be so nervous to meet everyone, like the first day of school. And I'll be sad, like I already am, that this particular adventure of mine has come to a close.

But I see in my mind every one of the people I stayed with, the friends I made, all the people who helped me get un-lost. I think about the Mojave desert and the Ozark mountains and the beautiful hollows of Virginia and it is all a part of me, all of it. I take it with me into this next adventure of mine.

See you tomorrow for one. last. ride. (that sounds kind of morbid...)

Ps Um, that is definitely the wrong number! The right photo is coming up momentarily. Bonus points for anyone who can guess what I drew it on with. Hm, what if I tattoo the final number of days on my arm to commemorate this experience? Mom would love that.

2 comments:

betsy said...

Don't push it, young lady. BTW - congratulations. I never doubted for a minute that you'd do it. But it's still pretty awesome.

liz said...

So so awesome Bets. And I second Deborah's "congratulations"!!!!

This is a great post by the way. Thanks for being so honest throughout your blog. I definitely feel emotional as this trip comes to a close and your new one begins. Praise God for His perfect will and provision. He's so good.