Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh, the Camp Host

Yes, and I made the mistake of telling him and his wife that I was traveling alone and wanted the space next to them (not usually rented out) 'for safety'. I must have looked like a fairly useless female because he insisted that he cut the wood I had bought for a campfire. Then he practically pushed me aside to set up my fire. (Ben will understand how annoying this was for me!) Then when it was lighting slowly (the wood was wet) and I was nursing it along, he charged over waving something and yelling STAND BACK! I sat back in time for him to douse it with enough lighter fluid to send a rocket to the moon. And of course it was an inferno then, and he swaggered back to his trailer like the knight in shining armor that he was. The rest of the evening he yelled over to me helpful tips like 'don't smother the fire' even though it was burning as brightly as ever. This morning before I left he marched out of the trailer in time to school me on the finer points of every single road I'd be traveling today.

I say all this but truly he was so kind and made me laugh a bunch of times and even brought me some extra wood. But I also spent a fair amount of time trekking around to other empty sites and stealing the half-burned logs left behind. Yes, I sure did.

1 comment:

CJE said...

ah yes helpful camping neighbors..i remember the days!! We then started camping only in fall when all the families were back home and kids in school.ahhhhhhh peace at last...i am sure he meant well like you say...you are a patient young lady!!